Thursday, September 7, 2017

Edwin Diaz suffers loss

Edwin Diaz (3-6) was charged with the loss when he allowed two runs on three hits while striking out one over one inning in Seattle's 5-3 loss to the Astros on Wednesday.

Fantasy Implications: Diaz was summoned in the ninth inning to protect a 3-3 tie. He was rudely greeted by Carlos Beltran, who led off the frame with a line drive double to left. After getting Juan Centeno to ground out to short, Diaz delivered a 100.2 mph fast ball to Cameron Maybin, who deposited the pitch into the right field bleachers for a two-run homer. Unfortunately for Diaz, the triple-digit fastball was the third-fastest pitch hit for a home run in the Majors this year. "I think I have to tip my hat to Maybin." the young fireballer said. "He hit a great pitch, great location. He hit it late, and it was a homer. The one to Beltran I thought was a good pitch, too. If I throw that pitch a little higher to Maybin, maybe it's a fly ball. But I thought I threw a perfect pitch, and he hit it pretty good." Diaz is one of the better closers in the American League with 31 saves. Consider this outing a blip in the radar.

No comments:

Post a Comment